Sunday, June 7, 2009

Italy Journey:Rome/John's B-Day/Father's Day/BROTHER!

Greetings from Rome everyone!
I have had a full day and a half so far hanging out and roaming around Rome! It has been a blast...but before I tell you all about it, I wanted to say HAPPY FATHER'S DAY to my wonderful dad, Daniel says it as well, and for John's dad, if he reads this, HAPPY FATHER'S DAY to you as well, from John and I! You fathers are wonderful!
ANYWAYS! John and I arrived in Rome Saturday night, from Germany...quite a change of pace, going from a quaint little medieval town, to the rowdy, riotous Rome! Crazy, but awesome. Rome isn't a very clean city. Like most other big cities, it's covered in graffiti and litter, but once we got our stuff put away at the hotel, and I hugged my brother for a couple minutes, we got to go out and explore the wonderful and historic, ancient city. All in one night, we made a trip to the Colosseum, to the Pantheon, to some graveyard, and all over town, until our feet were too tired. Whenever I'm walking down the sidewalk and look up to see an old historic basilica, or ruins, it makes me think of 2,000 years ago, when this was just built, right after the time of Christ. It is unbelievable. It's incredible learning about these places, and the history behind it, and then coming here and seeing it up close. 
I love the sights and sounds of this city. The traffic is crazy, and the drivers are rambunctious, so you always have to keep your head up, but looking at all the little Vespas cruising around town just makes being here feel more and more like a dream. Today...being John's 21st Birthday... wooo hooo... we slept in (finally) and made our way to the train station, which took us to the Ostila Antica, which is ruins of an old town. My brother, John, Catherine, and I, prance around the brick walls and ruins, and made our way to the Mediterranean Sea! It was so fun, great weather, and...what a good way to spend a birthday! When we were done adventuring, and our bodies were about wiped out, we met up with the rest of the group to go eat some PIZZA! FANTASTICO! 
Our schedule for tomorrow looks quite tiring, but awesome, so I am gonna go to bed soon...we are off to the catacombs at 8 am, and after that the Colosseum once more, this time with a tour, and then we are off to Rome of the Caesar's! I am so excited! So much history jam packed into one day! Here are some pics for you all of our travels so far!! Keep checking for updates, I should be getting lots of free internet this next week! The pictures will be up soon.

Love,
j


Happy Birthday Johnny!!!
At the Mediterranean 
Organ player at Santa Maria's Basilica
Constantine's Arch by the Colosseum  
The Pantheon. Our first night in Rome
Meeting up with Daniel in Rome...such a blast!



3 comments:

  1. Hey jenna, ciao from San Clemente. Thanks for the fathers day greeting. You and Dan are doing me proud. I'm the most blessed father on the planet. Have some of that original gelato for me. Can't wait to see the pictures tomorrow

    Love,

    Papi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey John,

    Buon Campleanno. Caprisci???

    Clint

    ReplyDelete
  3. yay for Rome! so jealous. say hi to the colosseum for me.

    shloveeeee you.

    ReplyDelete